Panasonic Lumix G VARIO 45-200mm F4.0-5.6 II - better than Mk 1?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
Peter in Milton Regular Member • Posts: 216
Re: Panasonic Lumix G VARIO 45-200mm F4.0-5.6 II - better than Mk 1?

I’m wondering if your friends had much direct experience with this lens.  I have had one since 2009 and used it quiet a bit.  I like the low weight, and small size.  And the good resolution!  There are reliable reports of significant lens variation in m43 products, so it could simply be a case of me getting a very good copy.  However I have compared mine to my 40-150mm 2.8 PRO, my 75mm 1.8, and other prime lenses.  No it doesn’t out perform those very high end lenses, but it comes so close that most of the time (especially at mid apertures) it really makes no difference.  Consequently if I’m traveling light, or don’ t need fast apertures, I will take the venerable 45-200.

My suggestion:  Get the lens and then test it carefully, perhaps using a prime or two, if you can.  If you like the results get out and take pictures.

Peter in Milton's gear list:Peter in Milton's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Olympus OM-D E-M5 Leica M Typ 240 Olympus E-M1 II Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D +16 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow