A confusing mixture of lighting.

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Winstonsmith314 New Member • Posts: 4
A confusing mixture of lighting.

Hello!

I started with a Yongnuo 568-EX II and a 622C trigger kit. I needed to up my game for a portrait I was planning and wanted to improve all aspects of related photography. Being on a pauper's budget, so to speak, I bought an Adorama kit with stands and umbrellas and a pair of Flashpoint budget 300 W/s strobes. I know, it's cheap and some might not spend the time of day reading about them but it's light I could have, not what I could dream about but with nothing to use. Anyway- Backordered for many months and my time was up.

Bought another Yongnuo, the 685, and it was good enough. Two weeks later the strobes came in.

So I have a real mixup of light sources to use with my 6D. No light meter, the strobes are bearskin and flint knives electronics which is to say no ETTL and intensity is via a dial. They do have optical triggers as one might expect. So two different models of speedlight and two strobes. One wireless transceiver, one receiver (two I suppose because the 685 has an internal receiver) and various lighting cords.

I can go for a meter if that would make my life easier, but again money is a thing.

Technique pointers? How can I make these play well together? Heck, is there a reasonable scenario where 4 lights is a real plus?

I am a bit unsure how to proceed.

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow