Loxia 25 on its way...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Andre JF
Andre JF Regular Member • Posts: 480
Re: What's the advantage of this duplication?

silentstorm wrote:

Mathieu18 wrote:

Out of curiosity, would your opinion be different if Zeiss released an AF Batis 35mm f/2?

My opinion would be the same.

Batis & Loxia are both high quality lenses from Zeiss. The duplication will cause Zeiss to lose sales. Why? Simply becos' if I already own a Loxia 35/2, what are the chances of me getting another Batis 35/2? Unless there's a very big difference between the lenses, otherwise there's no impetus to buy a duplicate FL. For discussion, if let's say Batis release a 35mm/1.4 & is half life size macro, that difference is enough for me to buy it. Needs something unique for people to want to duplicate FL. But make no mistake, I'm not implying there are nobody in the world who buys duplicated FL just to try out or collect them.

Would you buy a Batis 25 & also a Loxia 25? Or would you rather buy a Batis 25 & a Loxia 40. Or Batis 85 & also a Loxia 85? Or Batis 85 & a Loxia 100 Makro? Zeiss will somewhat cannibalize the sales of these 2 range with duplicate FL, like it or not, for the reason stated above.

Sticking to my opinion, it is better for Zeiss not to duplicate FL & use the production line capacity to produce different FL complementing each other.

Following your logic there should be nothing but the Milvus line bacause Zeiss could sell these with built in adaptors and use their resousces on developing new lenses filling the gap...

Luckily you are not the head of development and market analyzis at Zeiss.

According to Zeiss it is quite different to devellop an AF lens and an MF lens. There is more to it than just "add af", the entire lens is different. There are way less optical compromizes in a manual lens. You find all about this in the Zeiss home page. So what you are really saying is that it is a waste by Zeiss to develope two completely different lens series.

-- hide signature --

Andre JF
AndreJaingam.smugmug.com

Andre JF's gear list:Andre JF's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony a7 II Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow