Sekonic 478? HSS tool even though it doesn't support HSS?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Deshan Junior Member • Posts: 49
Sekonic 478? HSS tool even though it doesn't support HSS?

Hi,

I am a newbie that enjoys taking mostly outdoor portrait photography. I have a Godox AD200 and two Godox v860ii speedlites. I have gotten good results shooting HSS, but god, there are a lot of wasted shots as I try various combinations of open aperture shooting and high shutter speeds. I really don't want to spend $600 on an HSS capable light meter, so I was thinking that at $330 the above meter may be a good choice.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1219219-REG/sekonic_401_474_litemaster_pro_l_478d_u_light.html?ap=y&c3api=1876%2C%7Bcreative%7D%2C%7Bkeyword%7D&gclid=CjwKCAiA15vTBRAHEiwA7Snfc8XnzvOYC0GDMRFRAzoZRrFM7FmePVqH5AuAbg8D2Q5KrXm-2rY_uxoClyQQAvD_BwE

My newbie mind says that I could just meter for non HSS, say its f11, ISO 100, and shutter speed of 160. If I understand how this meter works, I could then change a variable, say shoot at f2.8 and the meter will calculate a shutter speed accordingly--here well above the 250 sec. sync speed for my camera. I then dial that into the camera and the HSS exposure is done correctly. Will that work? HSS by extrapolation?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow