Travel/landscape: E-M5 ii, E-M1 ii or G80/G85?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Schlumbergera
Schlumbergera Forum Member • Posts: 87
Travel/landscape: E-M5 ii, E-M1 ii or G80/G85?

Last year I sold my Nikon dSRL (d7100) with its three lenses (10-24 mm, 50 mm f/1.8, and 18-200 mm), planning to move to a mirrorless system due to its size and weight. My partner has a couple of lenses for the micro four thirds (fast primes: 12 mm and 20 mm, plus a budget tele lens), so I decided to limit my choice to Panasonic and Olympus camera bodies. My three picks are Panasonic G85, Olympus E-M5 ii and Olympus E-M1 ii, but after reading dozens of reviews, I still cannot decide which one to choose.

My needs:

- I shoot mostly landscape and travel photography (enthusiast). I often go hiking and cycling, and so I'm looking for a lightweight, but preferably a sturdy and weatherproof camera. During one of my bicycle trips my Nikkor tele lens literally broke into two pieces (the outer lens fell off, probably from constant shaking), and recently my partner's Olympus mFT body broke during another bicycle trip. Earlier today I tested G85 and Oly E-M1 ii and the latter made a far better impression in terms of built quality - of course it might be just my impressions, but e.g. the battery slot wasn't sealed. I haven't looked at E-M5 ii, but I know from a good source (an experienced hiker) that it wasn't weatherproof enough for long distance hikes in a rainy area. I saw a thread here about the differences in weather sealing between E-M1 ii and E-M5 ii, but I haven't been able to draw any conclusions from it

- important for travelling: lightweight, good ergonomics (one-hand grip) and good battery life. Here the Olympus E-M5 ii is probably the best choice (smallest and lightweight!), although definitely with an extra grip.

- apart from landscape, I also enjoy macro-photography (flowers, leaves, insects - beginner level), although I've never had any macro lenses - I used to use my fast Nikkor prime for close ups. I'm also planning to do more night-time and wildlife photography in near future

- I haven't done much video so far, but good video performance would be a plus for my partner. Here I believe G85 and E-M1 ii are the winners

In general, all three cameras would probably my needs. If price wasn't a factor, the choice would be easy: the E-M1 ii due to its superb built quality (probably most weatherproof of all), best low light performance (please correct me if I'm wrong), relatively long battery life, best autofocus and stabilization, plus the overall image and video quality. However, there is obviously a huge price difference - it costs over twice as much as E-M5 ii or G85. I would be very grateful for recommendations from those of you who have tested these cameras and can share their experiences.

Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic G85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
NCV
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow