Alpha 77ii Infinity focusing

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
AsphaltPlanet Forum Member • Posts: 55
Alpha 77ii Infinity focusing

I have an alpha 77 ii.  It's a great camera and I really enjoy shooting with it.  One of my gripes is however that there doesn't seem to be an option where the camera will focus at the hyper-focal distance approaching infinity.

When using the original alpha 77, using single shot autofocus in the wide setting, the camera would focus to the hyper-focal distance, resulting in a sharp foreground and an acceptably sharp background, even at relatively large apertures.  I haven't found a focus setting on the 77 ii to emulate this.  Every focus setting that I have tried will always focus on the furthest point in the background, leaving more of the foreground out of focus.  I can definitely see the use for this when it comes to wildlife shots, but it's less useful when shooting landscapes.

Similarly to the original alpha 77, when in single shot mode, the alpha 6500 on wide mode will focus at the hyper-focal distance with it's contrast-detect photo mode.

Is there a setting to achieve this type of focusing performance on the alpha 77ii?

AsphaltPlanet's gear list:AsphaltPlanet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony a6300 Sony DT 16-80mm F3.5-4.5 ZA Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +6 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow