Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
alcelc
alcelc Veteran Member • Posts: 8,210
Long Exposure: GX7 and GX85

I'd started a thread recently on the Long Exposure (LE) of GX85 as below:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/60660339

and according to my home testing, it suggested that GX85 should perform not so bad. Those posted samples were SOOC jpgs, no PP (except for cropping away unnecessary part) and no Long Exposure NR be applied. Up to 60 sec expsoure, generally the image looked quite acceptable to me.

But according to some good members' opinion, GX7 (DXO said GX85 uses the same 16Mp Pany sensor as GX7 having AA filter been removed) performs considerably worse than other Oly bodies using Sony 16Mp sensor.

I tested GX7, and found the result is YES. Although GX7 should have the same Pany 16Mp sensor as GX85, its LE images at 10 sec, both from raw converted by standard DXO profile of DXO OpticsPro 11 or SOOC jpg, should already a lot worse (hot pixel, chroma noise) than the 60 sec exposure image from GX85.

10 sec exposure converted from Raw

Cropped from the near center of the above 10 sec exposure

cropped from the uppest left corner of the above 10 sec exposure

Cropped from a 20 sec exposure image

cropped from the 20 sec exposure image

Cropped from a 30 sec exposure image

Cropped from the 30 sec exposure image

Cropped from a 40 sec exposure image

Cropped from the 40 sec exposure image

Cropped from a 60 sec exposure image

Cropped from the 60 sec exposure image

If look at the original of the above samples, they were quite bad IMHO.

Since GX7 and GX85 should share the same sensor, I suspect it might be a result of the better heat dispersing ability of GX85 (GX7 support only 1080 which doesn't need to handle overheating issue much. GX85, on the other hand, support 4K as well as it is in a floating form to provide IBIS, a heatsink is said to be used [at the back of the sensor?] to deal with the heat generated).

-- hide signature --

Albert

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow