Fiberglass umbrellas

Started 10 months ago | Questions thread
Macro guy
OP Macro guy Veteran Member • Posts: 3,467
Re: Fiberglass umbrellas

Sailor Blue wrote:

My primary experience with fiberglass ribs is with tents, and breaking them when setting up the tents was a reoccurring problem.

My collapsible metal ribbed Westcott umbrellas are still going strong after more than 20 years. The only drawbacks to the umbrellas are that I bought them without the removable black backing because I didn't know better and the umbrella stem is 8mm in diameter, which means the stem won't fit into the umbrella holder of my strobes.

I routinely use the Westcott umbrellas with with my hot-shoe flash outdoors. At a local camera store I found and bought for around $30 a white umbrella with a non-removable black backing with a smaller diameter stem to use with my strobes indoors.

I don't mind the non-removable black backing for the umbrella I use with my strobes since I use the reflection mode indoors almost all the time indoors. The shoot through mode simply produces too much stray light for my living room/studio space.

If I want to get an umbrella really close to the subject by using shoot through mode then the hot-shoe flash with one of my Westcott umbrellas is more than powerful enough.

Hey Don,

Any idea where I could get a 40-50" deep umbrella in Thailand?  Online would be best.

Thanks

Macro guy's gear list:Macro guy's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow