5Ds / W-E1--Wi-Fi disappointment

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Scott Dobry
Scott Dobry Regular Member • Posts: 298
5Ds / W-E1--Wi-Fi disappointment

Just got the 2nd-hand 5Ds.  Looks solid and will test tomorrow.

After updating the firmware, the first thing I did was to install the Canon W-E1 wifi SD card and connect to my iPad tablet via wifi.

The way I like to use wifi with the 5D4 is to connect to Canon's Camera Connect App on my tablet.  I like to be able to have a client / art director see what I'm shooting WHILE I'm shooting it.  Like instant polaroids.  This has worked great with the 5D4 and it allows an AD to give me feedback during shooting.

At first blush that this is NOT how the 5Ds / W-E1 seems to work.  Once the wifi connection is established, the App seizes control of the camera disabling all the buttons on the camera.  You are only allowed to either view current shots on the CF card OR use the tablet to remotely control the camera but because the camera functions are disabled, I can't shoot "live" to the tablet.

Am I correct in this assessment?  Or is there a setting I'm missing to allow me to use the 5Ds as I do the 5D4?

If it won't allow me to do this, is there another wifi card and / or app that will?

-- hide signature --

Scott Dobry
www.scottdobry.com

Canon EOS 5DS
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow