Pictures inside of Epson ink cartridge

Started 5 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
NAwlins Contrarian Senior Member • Posts: 2,078
Pictures inside of Epson ink cartridge

Recently I decided to (partially) take apart an Epson photo inkjet ink cartridge, and I thought some of you might be interest to see inside.

This is an Epson 77 light cyan extra-large capacity cartridge (specifically, a T077520) from my R280 (also used in the R260, R380, Artisan 50, RX580, RX595, and RX680). Although the copyright notice says 2006, the box says it would have expired in May 2019, for whatever that tells you about its manufacture date. Here is the front, with the ink connection to the printer at lower right and the air inlet at lower left.

Here I've removed the outer plastic and black Mylar (?) coverings from the back of the cartridge, now sitting upside down. Note the fairly complex labyrinth through which ink has flowed. Some ink remains in the central reservoir. My practice on this printer has been conservative, replacing the cartridge as soon at it gives a low warning. Seeing the amount of ink remaining, I may run them somewhat longer.

Here is the bottom of the cartridge, with clearer views of the ink outlet (photo left) and the air inlet (photo right).

This is the side of the cartridge, propped up on the removed plastic back. I've popped off the chip, which had been latched into place by little plastic feet that go into the four slots toward photo left, over the blue rounded rectangle. At photo right is the basic arm that latches the cartridge into place in the printer.

Here is the usually-exposed side of the chip, on a plastic carrier that I popped off of the cartridge. I forgot to remove the chip itself from the carrier until after I'd put away the camera. It pops out and back in readily. The back of the chip has about the center one-third occupied by a blue-black hemisphere--I'm not sure what that is.

Anyway, I hope you found this interesting and/or informative. A surprising amount of engineering and hardware goes into this system to deliver 11 ml of ink (7 ml in the standard-capacity 78-series cartridges).

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S110 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow