Two lens setup for A7r iii?

Started 10 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
George Regular Member • Posts: 292
Two lens setup for A7r iii?

I'm looking for a two lens setup for the A7r iii. I recently went to an event with my Leica SL and used a 50mm and a 24-90mm. I found that more times than not, I was cropping the 50mm. I think the GM 85mm would be a good lens for events and portraiture. I have heard that the Batis 85mm 1.8 actually performs better in terms of AF in low light, but I'm not sure if that was only with the A7r ii and the iii corrects that.

I do like to shoot at night and I'm debating between the GM 24-70 2.8 as a second lens or the Distagon 35 1.4. I know there is no comparison between the DOF of the Distagon and the GM 24-70. For a general walking around lens the 24-70 would probably be better, but I would be losing two stops with the 24-70 and even with the high DR of the A7r iii sensor I would still need to use high ISOs in very low light. I don't know how much I would use anything below 35mm, as when I review most of images I tend to stay at 35mm and above when I use my current 24-90 on the SL. I would eventually like to pick up the 70-200/2.8 but that would be for the future. My options right now would be:

1. G Master 24-70mm f/2.8 and G Master 85 mm f/1.4

2. Distagon 35mm f/1.4 and G Master 85mm f/1.4.

The only thing I lose with the second is the ability to go below 35mm. I know the G Master 24-70 is apparently sharper than the Distagon 35mm at 35, but I'm losing the low light stops when I need to shoot that way. Also, with the second option I have the ability to crop to 50 with the 35 and 100+ with the 85 without losing useable images.

Any thoughts?

George's gear list:George's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24-70mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar +2 more
Leica SL (Typ 601) Sony a7R II Sony a7R III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow