Best pano setup for travel?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
wco81 Regular Member • Posts: 407
Best pano setup for travel?

I bought a Nodal Ninja 3 II years ago and used it a few times but stopped taking it on trips.  Suppose to be one of the lightest most compact setups but still pretty bulky to add to your gear and I may have lost the wrenches and lug nuts and so on over the years.

I've gotten good results by doing some handheld shots and stitching in LR but I know for multi-row and especially long-exposure night panos, it would definitely be useful to have a pano bracket.

Or at least an L Bracket to secure my camera vertically on my light travel tripods.

As I understand it, you don't really need a dedicated panorama setup if you're not shooting something nearby.  So distant shots of say skylines at night should stitch together well just using an L bracket (which isn't necessarily cheaper but easier to pack than dedicated pano brackets).

While browsing at L Brackets and such, I saw listings for the Gigapan.  Intriguing, since one mentioned motion time-lapses.  Is that all automated by the robot and software?

Can you only use their software for stitching or can you use other stitching software?

I heard their software may not be as full-featured as others.  Also wonder if their software will even run on Macs.

I always pack a tripod but again, it's a travel tripod, so I'm not sure how well it would even support a 7.5 pound Gigapan.

Essentially, you can automate capture with a drone for large tripods, time-lapses and so on but of course you're limited to cameras with small sensors and limited optics.

So what are folks here traveling with for shooting panoramas?  Do people mostly shoot single-row, hand-held shots?

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
kli
kli
kli
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow