why buy Sony RX100M5 (if I already have RX10M4)?

Started 8 months ago | Questions thread
dr jim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,284
Re: why buy Sony RX100M5 (if I already have RX10M4)?

ha ha, this should be the traveling grandpa club!  I'm in the same boat. Retired, just turned 68, and doing a fair bit of traveling. I just bought the D7500, but that's for birding only. OK, maybe for the grandkids too when they come over. I own the RX10 I and IV and have considered them for my exclusive travel kit, but there are a few drawbacks. First, although size is relative, I find them bigger than I want to carry around all day, say, in Paris. Second, while 24 is considered wide, it's not wide enough for me for landscapes. There is always the pano function though. Last but probably most important, they are not exactly low light demons. I'm finding that inside museums and cathedrals and such, I would really like f1.8 or faster. I have a pretty complete m43 setup with E-M1 II and         E-m10III. The E-M1 II with the 12-100 would be wonderful, but it's big. I'm right now messing with the E-M10 III with the Lumix 14-140 as my main walk about, and adding the Oly 9-18, Oly 17mm/1.8 and 25mm/1.8. All three of these lenses are really tiny. So compared to the RX10, I get smaller, faster aperture and better low light/ high ISO performance. Oh, and the E-M10 comes with a pretty decent pancake 14-42  if you really want to keep it small (although only jacket, not pants pocketable) and light.

-- hide signature --

Just my opinion and just for fun!
Jim

dr jim's gear list:dr jim's gear list
Sony RX100 III Sony RX10 IV Olympus E-M1 II Sony a6500 Olympus OM-D E-M10 III +15 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow