Loxia 25 on its way...

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
biza43 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,571
Re: What's the advantage of this duplication?

terryreid wrote:

silentstorm wrote:

biza43 wrote:

silentstorm wrote:

Zeiss Batis & Loxia are already high quality range of lenses. Batis 25mm is F2, rumoured Loxia 25mm is F2.4. Batis has AF & a tad faster.

Sure, but the key difference is: one line is AF, another is MF. Some people do not require the former, and prefer the latter. Also, some prefer a homogenous and consistent lens line up like the Loxia, e.g. for video, with a same size filter.

There are already so many people finding changing lens in the field a hassle. Now there's one more hassle to deal with, change filter, becos' the filters are shared.

Scenario: Shooting video in some Africa wildlife sanctuary. Need to change lens. But wait, I also need to use that same filter from the previous lens. The only advantage is I see is getting 1 set of filters & sharing, provided the other lenses are not using the same filter.

Depends on how you see it. Cost savings vs speed & convenience. I can have 35mm with 55mm ND on & a 50mm with 67mm ND on. I gain speed when swapping the lens, no need to unscrew & rescrew, & deal with potential stuck filters thus delaying more time.

Anybody ever thought about using a zoom lens? It has been proven that some of todays zooms equal and better some of the primes. If the 12-24G and 16-35 GM are not good enough I think the problem lies between some people ears not the lenses.

Sure, used zooms to get the job done since 1990, when I started taking photos. They offer great convenience, and are for sure good enough. But I prefer not to spend EUR 3,000 on a GM zoom, when I don't need it. In my Canon days, I got tired of lugging around a 16-38 f2.8 L zoom with 82mm filter diameter. The GM is about the same.

-- hide signature --

www.paulobizarro.com
http://blog.paulobizarro.com/

biza43's gear list:biza43's gear list
Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR +1 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
osv
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow