Merrill SPP 5.5.3 Neutral Sharpening Re-visited

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
xpatUSA Forum Pro • Posts: 11,803
Merrill SPP 5.5.3 Neutral Sharpening Re-visited

I regard the SPP sharpening slider as a tool for 'capture sharpening'. As mentioned here , raw captures are a bit soft, even Merrills. So some sharpening by the converter is desirable. Recently, I managed a pretty sharp shot with the DP2M and today, being up far too early, I thought to seek a more precise definition of 'neutral' as far as sharpness is concerned. Previously, I had used the shape of the edge response, judging for a lack of overshooting (halos). With that method, I had concluded that -1.0 was a reason setting.

However the DP2M image, sharpened thus, showed an oddity in it's QuickMTF plot: the LPH for MTF50 was more than height of the image, i.e. more than 3136. That indicates over-sharpening from my setting of -1.0. So I embarked on tests to find the setting that gave as close to 3136 LPH as possible. That setting was -1.3.

Here's the plots for the raw top layer and for the setting of -1.3 . .

Raw top layer at left

Realizing that graphs are not real popular here, I offer the actual SPP image for those who prefer a visual assessment:

Sorry, no shrubbery or rolling hills in my living room.

-- hide signature --

xpatUSA's gear list:xpatUSA's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G1 Sigma SD14 Sigma SD15 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +13 more
Sigma DP2 Merrill
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow