Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS as a standard zoom for 7D mII?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
janosikkopac Junior Member • Posts: 27
Sigma 17-50 f2.8 OS as a standard zoom for 7D mII?

Hi,

after selling my 7d together with Tamron 17-50 I am looking for a new standard zoom. I tried to come up with my old mate Sigma 30/f1.4, which is a brilliant lens, however, it is a bit limiting for me without zoom: I am mostly shooting kids soccer and I want to use this lens for the after-the-match celebrations (receiving medals etc). As the soccer is very often played in the halls with not that great lights, I would prefer the 2.8 aperture for such conditions, e.g. here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/qzWdrClWOy1MJaT63

Lenses that I am choosing from:

- Tamron 17-50: both VC and nonVC have a VEEEERY slow focusing - I want USM/HSM as I want to take the picture in that particular moment and not 1s later

- Sigma 17-50 2.8 OS - I found a lot of positive reviews on older cameras and a couple of problems particularly with 7DmarkII. However, 340EUR brand new with 4 years warranty is a brilliant

- Canon 17-55 2.8 is probably the first choice, but twice the price of Sigma, even getting a used one for less than 400EUR is not possible

- Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 is similarly priced to 2.8OS. I do not need extra reach (use 70-200 f2.8 IS II for 70mm), but probably more reliable as for focusing. But not constant 2.8

- Canon 15-85 is probably a bit too dark for what I need

Thanks a lot for any comments or ideas

-- hide signature --

Canon 7d + Canon 10-22 + Tamron 17-50/2.8 + Sigma 30/1.4 + Canon 60/2.8 + Tamron 70-300

Canon EOS 7D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
All forumsForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow