why buy Sony RX100M5 (if I already have RX10M4)?

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
William Porter
William Porter Senior Member • Posts: 1,730
why buy Sony RX100M5 (if I already have RX10M4)?

I have been testing the RX10M4 for a week. Jury's still out but I have just about decided to keep it. I just ordered the RX100M5 to be a companion camera, or perhaps an alternative. But of course the wide angle field of view for the two cameras is the same (24mm FFE).

So for someone who has the 24-600 RX10M4, what are the advantages of the 24-70 RX100M5? I mean, it's another $1000. I can only think of two things:

1. The RX100M5 is truly (almost) pocketable. The RX10M4 of course is not.
  2. The RX100M5's aperture range gives me 2.8 at 70mm (FFE) where the RX70M4 is already pushed to F3.6 I think.

Advantage 2 isn't negligible but not decisive. Advantage 1 is a big deal. Is there anything else I should consider?

My option is to keep my Olympus PEN-F plus a couple of wide angle lenses. The PEN-F is small — actually it's already awkwardly small for my hands — but it's definitely NOT pocketable. On the other hand, I have the 7-14 PRO zoom (=14-28 FFE) and it's a lovely lens. No way to match that in a compact camera. Wish there was. I don't think the RX100's sweep pano feature is likely to match it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Will

William Porter's gear list:William Porter's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Olympus PEN-F Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus PEN-F Sony RX10 IV
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow