D5 save AF fine tune with two similar lenses

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Nikonlinks Regular Member • Posts: 433
D5 save AF fine tune with two similar lenses

I have a D5 and a 300/2.8D lens.  Great lens, optics are superb.  I bought the Kenko 1.4x 7 element tele converter to use as needed with this lens.  The Kenko has the screw drive to connect the autofocus on the 300/2.8D, and I know from owning the Kenko previously that the optics are decent.

The lens alone requires no AF fine tune.  With the Kenko, it requires -10.  Thats not surprising, every other TC that I've ever tested requires a different AF fine tune than the base lens.

My problem is how to store the settings in the camera.  When I use a later style Nikon lens with a TC-14E or TC-20E, the camera sees the combination of the two and saves the AF fine tune value separately from the bare lens.  Unfortunately when I mount the 300/2.8D with or without the Kenko, the AF fine tune shows recognizes only the base lens.  The AF fine tune window says 300/2.8 either way.

I don't see how to override the system to save two different AF fine tune values, for what the camera thinks is the same lens.  I don't want to rely on myself remembering to change the fine tune value every time I mount the lens.  Anyone know how to do this?

-- hide signature --

don
www.donferrario.com

Nikon D5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow