Closest I've seen to a universal carry-around camera

Started 11 months ago | User reviews thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Sam in Hawaii Regular Member • Posts: 256
Closest I've seen to a universal carry-around camera

For as long as I can remember, which is getting shorter as I get older, I've wanted a camera that met some specific criteria, believing that the best camera is the one you have in your hand.

small enough and compact enough form factor to schlep around pretty much all the time.

some measure of manual control or override, not full auto all the time.

rugged enough to survive a trip to the beach, falling down, etc.

IQ that's not an embarrassment.

I've tried a lot of choices, including a Nikon T35 (baby film camera, expensive and fragile), Powershots S400 and S500 and a few small Canon's, Nikon Coolpix D70, I think it was, various Nikon 1's that I pinned great hopes on, a TG 830 (tough little camera, now my glove box camera) and a few I've forgotten. They all miss at least one criterion. In the case of the Nikon 1's, they miss pretty much all of them; what were they thinking?

The little TG5 checks all four boxes. Not perfect, but it'll do until my dream comes along. It's a nice complement to my M4/3 system.

Olympus Tough TG-5
12 megapixels • 3 screen • 25 – 100 mm (4×)
Announced: May 17, 2017
Sam in Hawaii's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
mediocre
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
acceptable
Flash photography (social)
okay
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Nikon Coolpix S500 Nikon D70 Olympus TG-5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow