question about DX 16-80 f2.8-4

Started 9 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graytrekker
graytrekker Regular Member • Posts: 315
question about DX 16-80 f2.8-4

Hello - I am fairly new to DPReview and this is my first Nikon post.  I hope I am in the right forum

My question is this:  I am in the market for a new system.  I am an avid backpacker and have been looking at either Sony mirrorless or Nikon systems (I lugged heavy manual Nikons everywhere off trail in the 70s - 90s).  Obviously the Sony a6XXX system is appealing for the size and weight.  I thought the a6300 with the sony/ziess 16-70 f 4 would be perfect.  However, upon reading on this lens, there seems to be a real QC problem.  There have been noticeably decentered lenses, lenses that were really soft at the edges, people trying up to three lenses before finding one that wasn't much better than the kit lens that comes with the camera.  For $1000, no way was this a Ziess.  Its poor QC and it makes it seem like buying one of these is a crap shoot.  Its actually a totally Sony, lens made in Thailand using some Ziess licensed lens technology and sporting a Ziess label (poor Carl must be turning in his grave!).  Many people in Sony APC world are very disappointed.

So, in researching a Nikon alternative (won't be as small/light - but what good is that if you aren't capturing the images the way you want), I came across the Nikon 16-80 f2.8-4 lens.  Again, just the range I was looking for in APC and about the same price.  I have read some pretty good things about it (you can find good reviews on the "zony" 16-70, too).

In the old days there was never any talk about "good" copies and "bad" copies of lenses.  So, I am no wondering how pervasive a problem this is with APC lenses these days.  The Nikon 16-80 is also made in Thailand (I have nothing against Thailand, per se).  I wanted to put it out to the Nikon lens group:

Is this type of poor QC also seen in Nikon APC lenses.  In particular, what's the user reputation of this 16-80 lens?  Anyone out there using it?  Do you think it lives up to its reviews?  I might be coming back home to Nikon after a bit of a hiatus.

Thank you for your considered input.

Doug

graytrekker's gear list:graytrekker's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony a6300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow