Olympus 5G Tough

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Get Real Wet New Member • Posts: 1
Olympus 5G Tough

Purchased 4 cameras in Dec 17.  Using to take photos of people while canyoning.  They get used each day in wet conditions.

Here is some feedback.

Excellent quality of photos and videos in the canyon.

Poor closing mechanism.  The camera battery compartment got knocked open and on one camera which got wet, we dried it out and it still works! We started taping the compartments closed, but this is a problem as the battery life is very short after 3-4 hours of taking photo and video, would not have enough charge to download the footage, so the SD card needs to be removed resulting in more wear and tear, we have found that SD cards of good quality tend to last longer if they can stay in the camera.

The next issue is that the seals can leek if a small piece of grit gets caught in the seal, that it a leek.  Camera number 2 died this way.

The lens ring has a small button to release, I am uncertain why you need to remove this, but it is easy to knock and then the ring just falls off, lost forever in the canyon.  This was an issue on the T4 maybe Olympus should consider ways to solve this issue.

Lens fog and LED screen fog several cameras appear to suffer from moisture trapped inside the unit.  They appear to work fine in the dry but cant go underwater the screen fogs up.

Out of 4 units all get rugged use 1 is still working 3 are dead, great photos and video but I think I will go back the the Canon D30 these rugged little units handle the tough life of getting wet each day and keep working.

Canon PowerShot D30
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow