Bad card?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Historicity Senior Member • Posts: 1,521
Bad card?

Just last week I watched a review of the K1 by Tony Northrup.  The lady that was with him used a different camera and commented at the end of the day that she had a bad card.  Northrup took the opportunity to say that this was one of the nice things about the K-1, you can put your photos on both cards at the same time.  Because, he said, it isn't a matter of if you'll have a bad card, but when.

Today I took the K1 on a hike using the 16-85mm lens.  Half way through the hike I turned the D-Range settings to off in order to check later in editing to see if that affected highlights or EV settings. Of course I had not taken Tony Northrup's advice and was recording to just slot 1.

When I got home and began uploading my photos to my file manager, my file manager struggled and then froze.  I finally rebooted my computer.  During the rebooting I got a typical upgrade message telling me that my improvements were being installed.

When I tried again to upload my photos, my file manager said there weren't any.  The disc was blank.  So, did I have a bad disc, per Northrup?  Or did Windows mess me up by giving me an update when I had the uploading in progress?

I reformatted the disc and went out into the backyard to do something I intended to do sooner or later, check my Voigtlander 90mm f/3.5 to see if it was for full-frame or AFS/C.  The crop display didn't place any restrictions -  didn't tell me it was an AFS/C lens so I am assuming that it is a full-frame lens.  Then back inside I uploaded my 5 Voigtlander shots to LR -- looked at them, thought maybe I should turn D-Range settings back on when using this lens.

Did this test mean the card was okay? Can I blame the Windows upgrade process for destroying the photos from my hike?  The card seems okay now.  Is it safe to use?

When I bought the K-1 I also bought what seemed like pretty good cards: 64 GB SanDisk Extreme, 90MB/s.  Has anyone else had a problem with this disc or lost photos during an unexpected Windows upgrade?  Not being completely sure that Windows was the problem I changed the settings so that my photos in the future will go to both cards.

No doubt Windows, if they are to blame here, would say that they provide notification in advance of an upgrade, but I just got back from a hike and was doing a lot of things at once. If a popup told me my computer was about to have an upgrade I didn't see it. 

Lawrence

Historicity's gear list:Historicity's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-420 Olympus E-500 Pentax K20D Olympus E-600 +83 more
Pentax K-1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow