RC mode Manual and metering

Started 7 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Dan_75 New Member • Posts: 12
RC mode Manual and metering

Coming from AlienBees, pocket wizard triggers and using my trusty old sekonic l-358 getting a good reading has been straight forward and not any issue.

Recently, I have acquired multiple FL50R and a FL600R to command the FL50Rs to put together some lighting options that's more portable.

I like TTL and it usually "gets me there" or close. However there are situations TTL has challenges, highkey/lowkey, contrast, moody dark shadows where it does want to work with me and what I want to do. I like the idea of switching the FL50Rs to "manual" on the camera and in one place adjust all the channels and groups power. However it seems there is still the optical communication/preflash in play in RC mode manual. For the life of me I can't seem to get a good reading with my sekonic. It will error under expose.

If I take the camera out of RC mode and all the FL50Rs out of rc and into Slave mode, I can get an accurate reading fine again, but now I have to run around and make the adjustments on the individual flash heads vs doing it all on the camera in RC manual..

Am I doing some wrong or missing something simple? How do others leverage the RC mode and use it to run multiple wireless flash heads in RC manual to control all the speed flash heads/groups power on the camera menu and able to get a light meter?

I get this isn't practical for ttl or hss but I would really love to find a way to get this (metering manual control) to work. As an alternative, I might explore the latest cactus v6 II. That might work with using a sync cable from the sekonic into the RX unit?

https://www.cactus-image.com/v6ii.html

Thanks!

Dan.

Dan_75's gear list:Dan_75's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Olympus PEN-F Olympus E-M1 II Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake +10 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow