Is it time for Olympus to introduce a new system?

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Astrotripper Veteran Member • Posts: 6,231
Is it time for Olympus to introduce a new system?

Just a thought. How much further can Olympus push Micro 4/3? Their pace of iteration and new product releases steadily declined in recent years and now with the trio of f/1.2 primes out in the wild, there's actually not that much that is missing from the system.

A long telephoto macro, premium super tele zoom, and an UWA prime would satisfy a big portion of the users' lens cravings.

Anyone else wondering if they might be looking into spreading their wings? Fuji did that with the introduction of their medium format system. Panasonic does FF mirrorless for Leica. Canon is slowly but steadily increasing their mirrorless presence and Nikon is bound to finally storm the mirrorless fort.

Here's the idea. If Olympus launches FF mirrorless with "open" mount specification, they would have a fairly nice lens line-up in relatively short time (I'm thinking third parties that already went into FE making version for Olympus). And by now, they have amassed quite an lot of know-how and could introduce a highly competent product at first try, which is always a plus.

I'm not particularly interested in going FF myself. Just idle speculation here. Feel free to chime in.

Astrotripper's gear list:Astrotripper's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M1 II +17 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
(unknown member)
NCV
NCV
(unknown member)
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow