Selling my tamron 70-200 g2?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
draacor
draacor Senior Member • Posts: 1,538
Selling my tamron 70-200 g2?

let me start from the beginning. I went on a 10 mile hike the other day and stupidly brought all my gear. Damn near killed me lol. It was at that point I started contemplating selling my entire nikon system for something lighter like the Fuji xt2 system.  Once I started pricing it out though I realized it was a stupid idea financially. I just have too much invested into Nikon. Not to mention it wouldn’t really be an upgrade, just an improvement in weight.

so then I thought to myself that maybe what I need to do is re-evaluate my current lens collection and try to shed some weight that way. I used to have the tamron 15-30 and sold it for the Nikon 20mm 1.8 and it was a revelation. The 20 is so light it makes me want to use it all the time. So I started thinking of selling my 70-200 to accomplish something similar. Before my 70-200 I had the Nikon 300mm f4 the old afs one. The afs motor broke on me but I really do miss the iq of that lens.  So naturally I’ve been thinking of getting the newer 300mm pf lens because it’s light and maybe it has similar iq? The price is kind of crazy though.

This is where I get stupid. I love trying my hand at bif and wildlife photography. Back in the day I bought the 150-600 g2 Tammy and just was not impressed with the iq. It just seemed soft. But I’ve been reading how great the Nikon 200-500 is. Now I know what your thinking. If I’m trying to shed some weight then I’m going the wrong way. But the way I see it with this possibility is to just not bring as much gear when I hike. Maybe just this lens and one more if it’s worth it.

the third option would be to get another 300mm f4 afs for 600 dollars and call it a day.

obviously I do like my 70-200 but always feel I need more reach. Would you say the iq in any of the above is as good or better than what I have now?

Sorry for the novel haha.

draacor's gear list:draacor's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 135mm f/2D DC +6 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow