Do you feel our d5600 is small enough to compete with mirrorless?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 6,475
Re: Size matters

WPMChan wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

KR Photo wrote:

Mako2011 wrote:

KR Photo wrote:

Nevertheless, Nikon marketing certainly knows the company's intent better than you do.

Marketing knows what message they want to get out to sell cameras. It may not be a message that actually reflects the companies intent as to what they want the D3x00/D5x00 line to directly compete with, ....It may not even be a message that actually sells cameras as marketing had hoped.

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

I was referring specifically to your absurd statement that "they also didn't intend size to be the big selling point

I don't think they did (as the big selling point). I think they just wanted a less expensive model for the masses. A high profit margin body Marketing may have pushed the size side of it...but that wasn't the big selling point R/D was after. That's just the sense I get from some of the Nikon USA reps at NAB. Just my opinion based on discussion with them

-- hide signature --

My opinions are my own and not those of DPR or its administration. They carry no 'special' value (except to me and Lacie of course)

When I bought my D5600, the smaller body was indeed one of the selling points. I saw that as a good trade off for the features but with the much larger bodies of the D7xxx series. As long as I got the same good IQ and handling. I don't know what to do with those extra buttons and dials anyway. The D5600 is also much cheaper. Nikon marketing and me were on the same page.

I was looking for a APSC interchangeable lens camera to complement my Coolpix A. I wasn't interested in M4/3 bodies at all.

The bulk of the camera with a zoom lens is in the lens. My 18-140 weighs at 520 gm, and is actually 20 gm heavier than the D5600 body with battery and is almost as big in volume.

The difference of a few millimeters in size and a few grams in weights between different bodies are really trivial in my opinion.

I never saw body size as a feature for the D5600 to compete with a mirrorless body. BTW, the mirrorless bodies of Sony and Fuji are not that much smaller, some are even bigger, than the D5600 body.

I was shooting along side with friends with Fuji X-T1 and X-E3, I didn't think that their set up were any smaller than mine.

Since I'm often hiking/backpacking/kayaking in our Sierras, camera size was my number one goal as I needed to go lighter than my 300S since it's a big beast. I went with the D3400 and it fits my needs perfectly. The lightweight kit 18-55 and the 70-300 P lenses are lighter that the previous versions too. I have not interest in mirrorless as the ergonomics just don't feel right when hanging a bigger lens on them. That and the weight savings is little to none.

http://camerasize.com/compare/#188,681

Post (hide subjects) Posted by
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
NCB
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
MOD Mako2011
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow