What is your experience with usage of 70-200mm f/2.8 for trips, vacations or hikings?

Started 3 months ago | Polls thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
morinor Regular Member • Posts: 414
What is your experience with usage of 70-200mm f/2.8 for trips, vacations or hikings?

I am thinking on getting a Tamron 70-200mm f/2.8. I want the lense for getting portraits and using it also in trips that I can take. I do not want a smaller range and I think I do not need something longer. My consern is if this lens is too heavy and big to carry around on hikes, trips or vacations. So I want your personal experience when you did so with a 70-200mm f/2.8 of any manufacturer. I do not want to answer based on what you expect by using it, strictly through experience. I hope I have covered a lot of possible answers.

Also if somebody wants to share pictures from an Nikon 70-200 f/4, I would appreciate it as I am thinking that an f/4 could be an alternative, although it cost a little less than the Tamron and is not weather sealed. I want to see photos taken from afar showing what an f/4 can do relative to bokeh production.

morinor's gear list:morinor's gear list
Nikon D750 Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Tamron SP 70-200 F2.8 G2 +3 more
POLL
I am walking around with an 70-200mm f/2.8, even on extreme hiking without problem.
17.6% 9  votes
I am walking around with an 70-200mm f/2.8, even on small trips or vacations without problem.
39.2% 20  votes
I am walking around with an 70-200mm f/2.8, I find this difficult, but I accept the burden as the images I have taken by using the 2.8 aperture or because it is weather sealed has rewarded me.
9.8% 5  votes
I have tried walking around with an 70-200mm f/2.8, but it was too long and/or heavy so I prefered an 70-200mm f/4 instead.
15.7% 8  votes
I have tried walking around with an 70-200mm f/2.8, but it was too long and/or heavy so I prefered a prime inside this focal length range instead.
3.9% 2  votes
I have tried walking around with an 70-200mm f/2.8, but it was too long and/or heavy so I prefered another zoom lens covering this focal length range other than 70-200m instead.
13.7% 7  votes
  Show results
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kwe
xtm
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow