The Dreamachine

Started 9 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Aldarin Junior Member • Posts: 31
The Dreamachine

On my last trip to Paris I visited the Museum of Modern Art. Walking accross the rooms my eyes spotted a strange rotating machine giving hypnotizing light. - "How psychodelic!" I thought and entered the room.

It's called the Dreamachine and was invented by Brion Gysin and William Burroughs in the late 50's. You have to sit in front of it with your eyes closed and the flickering light will give you the feeling between wakefulness and sleep.
Quite interesting - I also read that under the influence of opiates you can freeze the rotating light carousel in your mind.
Ok I thought, it's 2017 and no need for drugs, so just take your GR and make it stop.
Inhibited by some boaring stuff I've seen before I just held on the camera and pressed the shutter.

Anything I got was an uninteresting picture of a rotating machine - not the shot I would like to have.

So I stayed in the room and closed my eyes just to get the mind-expanding effect. The light was spinning around my eyelids and after a while I calmed down.
In this relaxing moment I took my GR, stopped down to f9 and pressed the shutter.

... and ... Horray! This was the shot I have been looking for. Never thought that rotating light can free your mind in such an easy way.

Cheers
Aldarin

Aldarin's gear list:Aldarin's gear list
Ricoh GR Ricoh GXR Mount A12 Ricoh GXR A16 24-85mm F3.5-5.5
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow