D850 critical focus - is it even worth it?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
balidaan New Member • Posts: 3
D850 critical focus - is it even worth it?

Hi Everyone

I used to own a D800 (since then I have moved to a D750 body), my biggest issue with the D800 was not getting that pinpoint critical focus due to back focus issues. I had to AF Fine Tune most lenses (I bought Reikan FoCal) and it was never accurate enough because the fine tune range on a single zoom lens used to vary between -10 to +10 basis the focal length and distance of the subject. While I own the best lenses from Nikon 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200, because of the 36MP body flaws of these autofocussing issues were evident and I got more misses than hits (not that I didn't get a lot of brilliant pictures but this was a constant pain). So when the D750 came out I ditched the 800 and bought this body and have been relatively happy with the performance. However, I do miss the resolution and the ability to crop later.

When I hear about the D850 I was really happy and figured I could finally upgrade to this phenomenal body. But I have been reading that the D850 is also plagued by the same issues. I have been tempted occasionally to just ditch the Nikon ecosystem completely and move to Sony esp with the new eye AF and entire viewfinder coverage of focus points (not a very wallet-friendly move). But, I do understand that both these systems have their own tradeoffs.

Wanted to understand from you all (the pros) if you face similar challenges and how you tackle the issue of fine-tuning different focal lengths on the same lens, are you ok to live with the sub-par focus performance. Or do you constantly use some other method to auto focus.

I was also reading that using autofocus in live view gives critical focus, is this one workaround? Is it worth the hassle for $3000 camera, shouldn't all of this be taken care of?

Nikon D750 Nikon D800 Nikon D850
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow