Nikon 28-300mm for a travel lens

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sirhawkeye64 Senior Member • Posts: 1,795
Nikon 28-300mm for a travel lens

I'm going to be doing some traveling later this year and was thinking about what I want to bring. Most of the photography I'm going to be doing will be during the day (so not during sunrise or sunset). I will be bringing my 24-70, but I was also thinking of picking up a 28-300mm as a walkaround lens.

What are people's thoughts on this? My research says that it's not the sharpest (Which I sort of knew) and it's not the fastest out there (max aperture is 3.5, which for what I'd be shooting I think it would be fine, and it has VR) but it is a nice travel lens as it covers most focal lengths most people would use while traveling. My key here is that I want to travel light, and don't want to bring my 3lb 70-200 or even the Tamron 100-400 I just got, as that just means extra gear to carry around.

Thoughts or other ideas? I'd say my budget is around $800 on this as it would really only be used for travel and not a daily lens (I am considering buying a used one to save money.)  I'm getting to a point where I'm getting tired of carrying 2-3 lenses around and would like to have perhaps a small 12-14mm Rokinon for wide angle, and then maybe this Nikon lens for everything else.

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +10 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow