Trying out full frame for the first time 5D

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
KEV1N Regular Member • Posts: 434
Trying out full frame for the first time 5D

Hi everyone

I have always wanted to try using a full frame sensor camera and have had many digital cameras over the years. I currently have a Panasoinic FZ330. I've never really had the funds to justify. Now that the second hand market has some old but more affordable bodies I thought I would give it a try.

I have just purchased a 5D mark1 as it fits my budget for now. I used a Canon 30D for a couple of years so I am quite familiar with the limitations of a camera of this vintage.

I was amazed that the 5D body I purchased really looks more or less like new with virtually no wear or scratches. The sensor and mirror look spotless. Although I have not attached a lens yet everything seem to function fine (buttons/menu/shot without lens etc) but fingers crossed it will be ok when my lens arrives.

The lens I purchased is a Canon 28-135 USM from a budget point of view for now, as I would like to experiment on how I see my results from a perspective point of view for various focal lengths having never used full frame before.

I have a few questions if there is anyone that could help me.

In my research I read about the mirror falling off? Would it be possible from the serial No to determine the cameras age and if mine could possibly have this problem. It starts 25312XXXXX firmware version is 1.1.1

I've read lots of conflicting answers from way back and I'm not too worried as the camera is so old now, but just more interested.

I would also like to try a 50 mm prime (for now f1.8 ). There's the mark 1 seems to be dearer. The Mk 2 seems plentiful and cheaper. Or I notice the STM version, would this work on my 5D. Anyone have a personal opinion on these three.

Any help would be appreciated or any recommendations of any kind would be welcomed.

I'm quite excited about trying this as iv'e seen so much on this forum that has inspired me to give it a go.

Thanks Kev

KEV1N's gear list:KEV1N's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82 Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM
Canon EOS 30D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
BAK
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
MAC
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow