Amateur Photographer magazine (UK) no longer reports on DR!

Started 4 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Phil1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,445
Amateur Photographer magazine (UK) no longer reports on DR!

I’ve read the AP since the 60’s and have been a subscriber for many years during which time is has improved no end. I find it a great read with a lot of interesting and useful articles

However, has anyone else noted that they no longer produce a DR graph or report on DR values in their camera tests? Instead they now offers meaningless platitudes such as ‘a lot of detail can be pulled from the shadows’? Qualitative comments like that are almost useless IMHO.

It seems to me that one of the major distinguishing factors in camera design is the DR and it’s variation with ISO. The AP gave no reason for abandoning this particular test as far as I know and neither has it responded to complaints. It’s a great pity as, for the last few years, they have used a sensible and helpful set of tests, but no longer I fear.

If you could spare a moment it would be interesting to hear what you think about the validity of a camera test without any DR data.

Phil

ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow