Digital Photo Storage/Hardrives

Started 6 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
MMAhmad New Member • Posts: 22
Digital Photo Storage/Hardrives

Hi

I have finally come to the point where the internal Harddrive on my imac is not sufficient for my photo storage needs. I am inevitably having to move to an external hardrive to store my photo library. I intend to keep my lightroom catalog on my mac's ssd but have the photos themselves stored outside. I am not a pro photographer but I do want fast access to my photos, especially during editing etc. I don't do much video editing either

My options are to get a standard usb 3 2TB harddrive from seagate/LaCie or G-Teck to store my images so its portable enough for me to move around. These are 5400rpm drives but decent (over 130mbs) data transfer speeds. Obviously this is the cheaper option

Alternatively, I could go for a thunderbolt version which is double the price but data transfer speed is higher. Although as the drive itself is still 5400rpm, it is likely that any speed bottleneck will be caused by the drive speed instead of the transfer system

Can I please check if anyone has used both thunderbolt and usb3 external drives for photo storage and image editing and whether there is a significant enough performance lag with the usb c.

Although i am keen on portability, but if neither of the above are great options I could also look into a 7200rpm hardrive with thunderbold. Unfortunately ssd is out of my price range.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

-- hide signature --

KR
Mirza
www.mirzaahmad.com

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow