Panasonic Leica Lenses - mFT, do they have the "Leica Look"?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
marc petzold
OP marc petzold Senior Member • Posts: 1,071
Re: Panasonic Leica Lenses - mFT, do they have the "Leica Look"?

deep7 wrote:

I barely qualify to answer but can make observations from some experience. My only Leica lenses are a couple of older M lenses that need a clean and, even then, I only use them adapted on an L body. My only Panasonic/Leica lens that I can use on a m4/3 body is their first interchangeable effort, the Vario-Elmarit 1:2.8-3.5/14-50 ASPH.

If you define the "Leica look" as being sufficiently, if not obsessively, sharp, with emphasis on in-focus to out-of-focus transitions, colour and contrast, the 14-50 has it in spades. It's an absolutely wonderful lens in that regard, though large by 4/3 standards and huge by m4/3 standards. Looking at some of the m4/3 lenses with the Leica badge, I wouldn't say all of them achieve that. On the other hand, I don't think any of them are lemons.

Oddly, the Leica badged zoom lens on my Panasonic FZ1000 also gives that look in part of its zoom range but definitely doesn't earn the name at the long end! Sadly, I don't think there is a definitive answer to the question but, on the other hand, do all Leica lenses give the "Leica look"?

-- hide signature --

Don.
A Land Rover, a camera ... I'm happy!

Thanks Don. I've just received today my PanaLeica 14-150 Lens into mint condition, just waiting for the FT/mFT Adapter, for using it onto my G1. Still being undecided, *if* i'd upgrade someday to the Olympus Route, means OM-D Body, perhaps used M1 Mk. I, and Zuiko Lenses, or the G80/G81 Pana someday, and Leica-Panasonic Lenses...well, the 2013 M1 Body is hell cheaper, but i do think the Panasonic Leica Lenses would work best onto a Panasonic Body, or does somebody use these "Leica" lenses onto a OM-D M1 here?

My 14-150 is also huge, in FT/mFT terms, with 72mm Filterthread... but i got this lens for a bargain price, and couldn't resist...and since 2007, always wanted it...28-300 in FF-terms with good IQ.

Good Light !

Marc

"The Best Camera is the One That's with You" ~ Chase Jarvis

marc petzold's gear list:marc petzold's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 50D Nikon D90 +70 more
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow