Monochrome vs Colour ...the eternal struggle

Started 9 months ago | Photos thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
HB1969 Senior Member • Posts: 1,303
Monochrome vs Colour ...the eternal struggle

I have such a hard time with this question.

Background: I went down to Wynyard railway station (Sydney CBD) early this morning to capture the new(ish) art installation. Transport NSW decided to replace the aging wooden escalators with shiney but soulless metal ones. Thankfully they commisioned Chris Fox to inject some soul back into that area. Fox took the old hardwood treads and used them in this gorgeous art installation, titled "Interloop".

I started a new project last year that involves taking photo's of "ghosts" around my city...ie motion blured people in urban lanscapes (eg Ghosts in the Graffiti Tunnel https://www.flickr.com/photos/14775462@N04/34739946284/)

The following photos are a composite of 4 images to maximise the number of ghosts. Taken with Samyang 12mmF2 @f/11.

I can't decide between the colour version. Straight b/w or b/w with added vignetting.

If I go with the colour version, i'd probably use one with a single shot, not a composite, to simplify the composition.

gives more emphasis on the art installation when there's no vignetting.

darkened edges focuses the eye on the bright center. It looks like the 'ghosts' are moving towards the light

Let me know what you think

Thanks

HB1969's gear list:HB1969's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +8 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow