sigma 18-300 3.5-6.3 C - mini review

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
rb dwn Contributing Member • Posts: 702
sigma 18-300 3.5-6.3 C - mini review

I've had this lens for several months now and thought I would share my impressions.

Given the very large zoom range and (relatively) modest pricing, my expectations were definitely guarded; however, I have been consistently impressed.

Although I bought the lens with a view to using it as a walk-around - or for when I simply couldn't decide what lens to take out - it is very regularly the second lens in my bag.

Whatever is the first choice (eg 17-50,  24-105 or 100-300 f4 or 105 macro) I find the 18-300 is good enough that I can feel covered for any shots that 'no. 1' isn't suited to.

Naturally there are compromises - dim due to high base apertures, AF can be hit and miss and manual ring is uninspiring - but acceptable results (to me anyway) are possible throughout the zoom range.

Samples below were taken on a tripod - which is how I tend to shoot - so I can't say much about the stabilisation.

The first two illustrate the huge range and the remainder are examples of what can be done in between.

The light was uninspiring (which is probably why I decided to do a few test shots!).

All processed in SPP (exposure adjusted; minus 10 sharpness) then lighly processed as TIFFs in ACDSEE . No distortion correction applied (and I now see that WB on number 2 needs work).

All up, a really handy lens.

widest

longest

-- hide signature --
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow