Liability insurance - what are your toughts?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
matikr
matikr Regular Member • Posts: 150
Liability insurance - what are your toughts?

Before I start, if I posted this in the wrong forum - my apologies.

So here's the gist of the story. I've been doing some paid work in the recent year, but mostly family portraits of people I know or friends of friends etc. I've been now asked to photograph a wedding-lunch, and I think this will be a good time to get some liability insurance in case someone trips over my gear/ a flash falls on someone's head etc etc.

This is not what I do for a living, and I don't charge a lot for it, but since I do charge, I feel I'm in risk if I do this without insurance, and I would love to hear your thoughts about this.

1) Do you think it makes no sense getting insurance since I make very little money out of photography every year?

2) what insurance type and company would you recommend (liability? what about Errors and Omissions ? does it matter if it's thru a "photographer's specialized insurance company or thru progressive?)

3) if the couple is not happy with the results I have no problem refunding them all their money and keeping the images to myself. do you think that is enough protection, or do I need to be prepared for a "this was our last chance to have a picture with uncle Mike, so we're suing you for a million dollars... "

4) can I just get the clients to agree to am "hold harmless" agreement, where they need to protect me if anything happens (I know it is very common in the auto industry like when a bank hires a recovery company to go pick up a vehicle of a customer that is late on his payments. the bank need to sign a "hold harmless" agreement where if anything goes south, the recovery company in not held accountable).

5) am I been extra paranoid here?

Thank you all in advance.  can't wait to hear what you have to say.

-- hide signature --

Thank you
Mati

matikr's gear list:matikr's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS M Sony Alpha a7 II Sony Alpha a7 III Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +11 more
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow