Olympus PEN-EP5 Broken.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Stufishing New Member • Posts: 9
Olympus PEN-EP5 Broken.

Hi All, Hope you can help. First of all, my three year old EP5 has broken. It turns on but doesn't load the menu and turns back off again very quickly, with a funny whirring/grinding noise like the camera made (when the camera was working) when it starts taking a photo. I've spoken to Olympus in Australia, they say minimum 300 AUD repair as camera is out of warranty by 18 months. This is about half the price of the camera three and a half years ago. They claim the main board is broken, despite the occasional IS error flashing on the screen in red. I have tried both my lenses and without a lens and the result is the same, so it isn't the lens.

Firstly. Does anyone have any ideas on the error? Does this main board diagnosis sound right? Ive searched the web, only significant fault that comes up repeatedly is the dial, which works fine on mine.

Secondly, if the error is correct, what do i do next. I have the two m.zuiko MFT lenses 14-42 zoom and the 150 zoom with all the filters for both, so a considerable investment. And a spare battery plus tripod mount and backpack strap/belt mount clip to suit. So I have enough gear to be upset that I seem to only have the choice to buy another Olympus.

I'm upset the EP5 is toast within three years. I expect a far greater lifespan out of a modern camera. Am I just unlucky? Camera has been treated with kid gloves.

Logical step is to buy the EPL8 or whatever body and move on. But i'm really reluctant to buy another camera which fails inside four years. I'm just a casual photographer, holiday snaps and I like the quality photos the EP-5 created, plus the video was quite presentable. And I loved the feel of the EP-5 body, it felt industrial and it really looked great. Reviews on the EPL8 dont wow me like the EP5 did. Is it necessary to move up the scale of Olympus cameras to get a better life from the camera?

I had a good tripod and struggled with night time focusing, but then again, I never tried to put any effort into working out how to improve it.

Would love to hear your thoughts on what to do next. I cant really afford to just buy the latest and greatest, and definitely feel severely let down by the lifespan of this camera.

Thanks in advance

Stuart

Olympus E-PL8 Olympus PEN E-P5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow