RAW processing differences (DxO and C1 examples)

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
sonnycsc Regular Member • Posts: 233
RAW processing differences (DxO and C1 examples)

I'm playing around with Capture One 11, comparing it to DxO Photolab which I normally use for the bulk of my RAW processing. There are instances when DxO just isn't giving me what I'm looking for. I could spend hours on a single picture until I'm satisfied with the look I'm searching for (I rarely know beforehand what I want to do with a picture, I often go back to old pictures and redo them). Case in point below:

original RAW file converted to JPEG

I originally processed this a bit differently in DxO https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4232057

But having found Capture One and what it's capable of, I went back to reprocess it again.

DxO reprocessed

Capture One 11

I deliberately adjusted the DxO one as closely to the C1 as possible, to see if I could achieve the same look and settle for one software to do everything, but I can't seem to make up my mind here (slightly leaning towards the C1 one, but then the slight hints of smoke in the DxO one make me lean towards that again)

And then there are instances when neither C1 nor Lightroom (which I use on occasion) could correct a photo the way DxO does almost instantaneously:

original RAW file, I don't even remember taking it so heavily underexposed

And here's how DxO and C1 render it (I tried LR and ACDSee for this particular picture before I found DxO which got it just right IMO)

nothing changed apart from obviously lifted exposure and PRIME noise reduction, colours rendered by DxO default

I might be doing something wrong, but colours were supposed to be closer to the DxO one above as I wanted, not this blue-magenta ish tone which is how C1 rendered the JPEG

I guess I'll have to use several software for my PP work because I just can't seem to find the one which would do everything. Anybody else have this dilemma? Using several different RAW editors until you achieve the look you want?

-- hide signature --

www.500px.com/rmimagery

sonnycsc's gear list:sonnycsc's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix G X Vario PZ 45-175mm F4.0-5.6 ASPH OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
DxO One
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow