A6500 screen brightness in video mode

Started Apr 19, 2017 | Discussions thread
Off The Mark Senior Member • Posts: 4,118
Re: A6500 screen brightness in video mode

HappyBlack wrote:

There is a workaround and I use it on a daily basis:

My 4K video recording profile is saved in a Memory bank as #1.

When I turn my dial to #1, I'm greeted by ready-to-record settings (such as manual WB, S-Log 2, 1/50 shutter speed, 800 ISO, etc.) with the screen brightness set to any brightness level I want, even Sunny Weather.

The only drawback is : when you hit record buttton, it takes about 2 seconds to start recording and then the screen dims.

When recording stops, the screen brightens up, too.

However, this little hack allows me to properly compose the image and set the focus without any struggle, since it also gives me more detailed Focus Magnifier.

How to do this?

Turn your dial to M (manual mode), set everything as needed (shutter speed, picture profile, white balance, audio level, etc.), change the Image Format to 16:9 (don't forget about this!) in Menu and then save all these settings using Memory Recall.

You also have to check, if your Record button works in Manual mode, since it's possible to disable it in non-video modes.

Thanks for the tip. Are there any drawbacks to shooting movies in M mode instead of having the dial set to Movie mode?

-- hide signature --

Stay Broke... Shoot Sony!

Off The Mark's gear list:Off The Mark's gear list
Sony a6000 Sony a5100 Sony a6300 Sony a6500 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow