The heat is on.

Started 5 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jbent1 Forum Member • Posts: 70
The heat is on.

https://www.cameralabs.com/sony-e-18-135mm-f3-5-5-6-review/

Hi, above is the link to Gordon Laing's very favourable review of the new Sony 18-135 lens suitable for the A6xxx series. One notable feature is its small size relative to what Nikon and Canon has on offer. My experience with Sony was clouded by my 16-50 lens which clearly compromised the abilities of the body (5100).

But now Sony has the A6500 functioning much like m/3 bodies in terms of its user options and this is a good lens. Together they make a nice compact pairing in common with what I like with m4/3.

My purpose is not to stir up the loyalty pot. I like my m4/3 experience. But with this option, the presence of competent compact cameras like the Nikon D5600 and this recent trend to larger m4/3 bodies (and lenses) the competition is getting tougher to ignore.

I offered my EM10-1 with the standard 14-42 lens for free to any one of my 9 nieces and nephews. Not one took me up on it. 8 used smartphones and saw no reason to have a camera. The remaining one bought into the Sony A6xxx series and is very happy.

In comparison with m4/3 offerings, cameras like the SL2, D5600 are going for less money and refurbished ones and lenses are easy to get. High end cameras like the D500 are clearly competitive $ and quality wise. Finally, Sony is getting smarter about their offerings too now.

With what appears to be declining interest in cameras in general, as smart phones get photo proficient (a friend of mine just paid $1200 for a new Iphone primarily to take better pics, but completely balked at the suggestion of buying a new EM-10ii for $600 instead) and the competition amongst camera producers gets fiercer, we may be left at the sidelines.

It is going to be interesting to see how M4/3 fare in this very competitive environment. I really would not know what to do if I was getting into photography today. That bothers me.

-- hide signature --

JDW

jbent1's gear list:jbent1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Panasonic Lumix G 42.5mm F1.7 +2 more
Canon EOS Rebel SL2 (EOS 200D / Kiss X9) Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 Sony a6500
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow