What is best for low light 4k shooting please?

Started 2 months ago | Discussions thread
Flat view
RayGuselli Forum Pro • Posts: 15,233
What is best for low light 4k shooting please?

Can I ask for some help please?

I have a JVC GY-HM170E 4k camcorder.

One of the reasons I bought it is because of the ability to immediately change most functions because it is less menu driven than many bridge 4k cameras and has an array of actual buttons to change so many features immediately etc.

However, I am just wondering about something.

It has a single 1/2.3-inch CMOS image sensor with 12.4 million pixels (9.03 active)

High quality integrated 12x F1.2-3.5 zoom lens (35mm equivalent: 29.5-354mm)

Whilst the lens does open to F1.2 it soon closes as the zoom is used which as you can see goes to F3.5.

That is on a sensor 1/2.3-inch in size.

I often shoot video of my daughter horse riding/showjumping in dimly lit arenas.

I notice that the Sony RX10 ii is fixed at F2.8 across the range BUT with a 1” sensor.

Therefore I am trying to work out which is actually better for lower light. I am thinking the Sony.

The JVC never misses focus so I am lucky in that respect: the second question would therefore be, is the Sony as food at attaining and keeping focus in low light with a fast moving object.

I love the JVC for its ability to manually adjust things instantly BUT of course, much of that can also be done in editing after the event.

Can people offer any advice please as to whether a change would be worthwhile?

I am posting in Video and Sony forums so hopefully some advice will come my way.

Many thanks

-- hide signature --

RayGuselli's gear list:RayGuselli's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D750 Nikon AF Nikkor 18-35mm f/3.5-4.5D IF ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
Sony RX10 II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow