D810: Masking the Focus Screen?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
SpinOne Veteran Member • Posts: 3,679
D810: Masking the Focus Screen?

Heya, I'm looking into a slightly unusual customization option to a Nikon D810. Specifically, I'm considering masking the focus screen so that the viewfinder is cropped to a 24:65 (panoramic) aspect ratio, a like so:

The image will be cropped in post, so no modifications to the sensor or shutter are needed at all. The important part is to frame the image properly, prior to exposure.

The current idea is:

• Order a spare focus screen
• Use some sort of tape or other material to mask out the top and bottom of the focus screen
• Swap the screens
• If it really doesn't work out, or if I decide to sell the camera at some point, swap the screens back

My questions are:

• Are some or all of the camera's meters below the mirror, or somewhere in the prism?
• Is it relatively easy to remove the focus screen? (This will be done by a pro, but the easier it is to remove the focus screen, the better for this project)
• Any suggestions on what type of tape will work? It'd have to have a fairly precise edge. It doesn't matter if the adhesive scratches the focus screen, as long as the border is precise, and the tape secure.

Nikon D810
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow