a7r II vs Canon G7X, someone with both?

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Pelvet New Member • Posts: 21
a7r II vs Canon G7X, someone with both?

Hello guys, I just bought an a7r2 and also found a 24-240 for a very good price used. My previous camera was the G7X so the upgrade should be huge. The FF would destoy the small 1-inch Point&Shoot! Or no? I will explain!

Firstly the 24-240 is used to see which focal lengths I use more and then buy 1-2 primes or a better zoom. I know the a7r2 is overkill for this lens.

I dont have both cameras right now, only the Sony. Before giving the G7X away I made some test shots so that I can compare it with my new Sony. The quality of the pictures is much better on the Sony, but not sooo immpressive. I thought the difference would be much bigger.

The real mystery is that my old G7X for the same shot has following aspects:
Indoors, low light:

Canon @100mm: f5.6, 1/25, ISO 3200 in Aperture priority
Sony@100mm: f5.6, 1/15. ISO 6400 in Aperture priority

Same at 50mm:
Canon: f4.5, 1/40, ISO 3200
Sony: f4.5, 1/25. ISO 6400

SO the Sony is 2 stops worse somehow. I know the lens is slow but at the same f-number the Canon was setting a faster SS & lower ISO at the same time.

Can someone that has both cameras please make a quick test? Set same f-numbers and let the cameras decide ISO & SS. And please share the results.

Thanks guys!

Canon PowerShot G7 X Sony Alpha a7R II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow