J5 vs RX100 V and G9 II - high ISO, surprising results

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,420
J5 vs RX100 V and G9 II - high ISO, surprising results

About a week ago in another thread I was wondering if there is still any room for improvement for a 1-inch sensor in high ISO “department”. Today I returned to this thought and decided to peak at DPR studio comparison to discover how an almost 3 year old J5 sensor stacks against some more modern 1-inch competitors. The results were quite unexpected. To me, the noise in J5 image at ISO 6400 look almost one stop better than in more modern Sony and Canon. The same applies to any other ISO selection, so I only included one here for illustration. So whoever says that it is just Sony sensor that matters might be wrong, Nikon obviously adds some know how to the mix to produce better results. But in the end, while this makes me proud of Nikon past achievements, I sadly realize that maybe there is nothing left for improvement in 1-inch sensor and Nikon probably feels it that way as well. The second screenshot shows some larger sensor “compacts” which are noticeably better.

By the way, it is better to enlarge the screenshots below; smaller size makes noise differences less visible.

PS. I added a third screenshot with Nikon-only selection to show what the next mirrorless system might be capable of in comparison to J5.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
Nikon 1 J5 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony RX100 V
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow