First day with G9 – Some observations, good and bad

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
WarbirdFZ5
WarbirdFZ5 Regular Member • Posts: 355
First day with G9 – Some observations, good and bad

My first day out with G9 was rainy, snowy and dark. Typical! .-)

Handheld with Leica 100-400

(I am comparing my G9 with my G80, and also with my D500 paired to my Tamron 150-600 G2.)

Good Things:

1. No problem what so ever with the light trigger on my G9, in fact it was after about 100 shots that I remembered that it was supposed to be a problem… J
  2. Bird in flight works better than expected, actually as good as I hoped. Not up to D500, but close, very close. 
  3. Very fast startup, both from OFF and from ”Sleep”
  4. 20 frames/s (without blackout) works excellent for BIF, no problem to track the bird in the EVF.
  5. After just under 700 pictures, with Bluetooth activated, only 1 bar is ”missing” from the battery.

Bad Things:

1. AF ”Custom Multi” does not always focus on the obvious target. I had several photos of a slow walking dog, or a sitting bird, where G9 focuses on grass in front or behind the target when there is several (most) focus points flashes green on target.
    A photo of my wife is very sharp on her hair sticking out of her cap, but glasses, nose and eyes are not. (No, I have not tried ”Face Eye Detection”)
    Note: This was both with ”AF Set 4” and ”AF Set 1”
  2. Yes, there is some picussion in the EVF, but really… You have to look for it.
  3. Lightroom (CC Classic) do not import GPS from G9 (implemented via app in iPhone)
    Looking in EXIF it looks just like EXIF from other cameras that works. The geotagging info is in the file, but not imported into Lightroom.

I am sure BT 1 is a firmware fix. I have not seen this random choice of AF point from any camera before, as I remember. My quick fix is to keep all focus points on the target.

BT 3, I have no idea why it does not work, is it only me?

WarbirdFZ5's gear list:WarbirdFZ5's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P1000 Nikon D500 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +1 more
Nikon D500 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow