backpacking camera?

Started 6 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
graytrekker
graytrekker Regular Member • Posts: 178
backpacking camera?

Opinions please (this should be fun):

As I mentioned on another post in another forum, I have been an avid backpacker for 40 years, and an amateur photographer most of that timer.  I have always been "focused" (sorry, couldn't resist) on mountain photography in the West, where I live. Image quality is important to me, but there is always a limit.  I am my own worst critic.

Since the 70s I lugged a fully manual Nikon system around with primes and finally 1 zoom  until the death of film. It was heavy but I did it for image quality. But I am in my 60s now, I can't do things the way I did in my 20s. I have made the move to ultralight backpacking where "every ounce counts!", so I can keep doing the things I love to do. I eased into digital with a Sony RX100 MII. I love the little thing - so convenient - fits right in my backpack belt pocket so its always there - and for its size - a stellar performer for the $450 I paid. But obviously not a Hasselblad (even though it says it has a Carl Ziess lens ).

I have some awesome trips planned this summer for Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier Parks. So, I entered this arena thinking to upgrade from the 100 to a Sony a6300 with the "Ziess 16-70" seemed to be the way to go. Great range and its a Zeiss - must be exactly what I want.

I have read so much (here and other fora) about decentering, edge softness, etc., not of just the Ziess, but the Sonys as well.  I have just come over from the last thread on the soon to be released Sony 18-135.  As I said there, I am expecting more of the same as a symptom of going small (at least with zooms) with current technology.

But now, turning around and looking at things from the other direction - maybe I should let the glass direct my decision and not be fixated on the small body. These are going to be spectacular trips and I want to come home with images that can convey it all.  I can't afford the FF route, so I have settled on APS-C.

If I went Nikon, say (like 7200), yes it would be heavier and I'd have to suck that up, but I would have access to what seems to be a better market for lenses than Sony APS-C, as all well as my old (heavy, manual, non-AI) lens (not sure how much I would use them).

I am in rural Montana, so I don't have access to big city camera stores where I can see everything first hand and play with them - maybe even rent.  Also, I don't really do video - but who knows - maybe I could get captivated by it if I had that ability.

So I see 4 possible routes:

1) Save the $, stick with the Rx100 as the image quality won't be that much better (The RX is good - but I don't really believe this, throwing it in as an option)

2)  Go with the a6300 + a zoom -  those zooms (whichever) will be good enough

3)  Go with the a6300 with primes.  I used to use my 35 mm the most.  Of course, only one option there the Zony 24 - $$$ and QC problems there, too? (become leery of these Sony "Ziess" lenses.

4)  A system I haven't considered yet.

This forum is a great way to reach out and draw on a considerable resource of centuries of pooled experience and wisdom. I would aprpreciate your considered thoughts.

Thanks

Doug

graytrekker's gear list:graytrekker's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon Df Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +5 more
Sony a6300 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow