DX lenses to convince a Canon shooter to switch to Nikon?

Started 8 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Frodro100 Regular Member • Posts: 249
DX lenses to convince a Canon shooter to switch to Nikon?

Hello all. I am wondering if I should get into the Nikon DX system, having come from Canon and also dabbled in Pentax. It seems like Nikon offers a lot in terms of sensor performance and customizable external controls/ number and placement of dials over Canon, and Nikon autofocus seems like it would be a significant upgrade over Pentax - I also like that they include a pop up flash on their full frame cameras, should I upgrade to FX eventually, whereas neither Pentax nor Canon do, and Pentax is even moving away from having this feature on APS-C. However, it all comes down to the lenses above anything about the bodies for me.

I would pick up a bare bones body, maybe a used D3300 for $200 or so, and if I like it, maybe upgrade to a D7200 in a year when prices come down. If I don't, I can sell it and not take much of a hit on depreciation. I'd get 1or 2 DX lenses to play around with right away. I'm not above kit lenses, if they are good. If there are good mid grade lenses that would minimize the investment up front, that would be better than spending $1500 on premium glass right away. I'd mainly be looking for lenses with good optics and faster than f/5.6 max aperture to cover the 18-70mm range, whether they are primes or a standard zoom - as well as anything that Nikon offers that Canon does not (i.e. 18-200mm superzoom). What do people recommend?

Nikon D3300 Nikon D7200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
kli
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow