5D3 with 80-200 2.8L or 5D4 with 80-200 4L

Started 9 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
jkringen New Member • Posts: 6
5D3 with 80-200 2.8L or 5D4 with 80-200 4L

Getting back into photography after about a 20 year hiatus. Back then, I shot primarily with a F1n, so I have quite a lot to catch up on.

As I am looking into equipment, I am thinking about two real options a 5D3 with an 80-200 2.8L or a 5D4 with the 80-200 4L. Back when shooting film, I would have always opted for the faster lens, but reviewing these options, I am not so sure.

My real questions concerns whether the (as I have read) increase in quality related to higher settings ISO on the 5D4 makes worrying about the one stop difference in the lens largely irrelevant? When shooting film, I would rarely shoot anything faster than 400 ISO, and my 200mm was a 2.8.

Getting a feel for both of the lenses at a local shop, I really thought that walking around Europe with my two year old next year might be quite a bit easier carrying the 4L, but I am having a hard time accepting giving up the extra stop. In the past, I always leaned toward better lenses over newer cameras, but digital seems so very different.

Given the costs, I could swing a 5D4 if I go with the 4L. If I do the 2.8L, I will be picking up a 5D3. Of course, I'll be picking up a couple of other lenses, but they will be the same regardless of this choice.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow