Best settings for this problem... RX10-4

Started 3 months ago | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Jarrell Conley
Jarrell Conley Forum Pro • Posts: 15,308
Best settings for this problem... RX10-4

Yesterday, here in central Georgia, we had a dusting of snow.  Cardinals and red birds were gathered near the bird feeder out back, sitting in an old Bradford Pear tree.  In their colorful plumage they stood out so beautifully against the grey background I tried getting a few shots of them.  They were approximately 70 feet away and the camera was at full zoom for these picture.  I shot about 10 or 12 images but the camera had a bit of a hard time locking focus on the birds getting only a couple of them in acceptable for the conditions in focus.  The photo below is an uncropped image representative of most of the pictures.

RX10-4, iso 320, 1/250th sec @ f/4 full zoom

The image below is one of the 2 or 3 that I consider not too bad, same specs as above image.

I think the clutter of tree branches around the bird and maybe even the falling snow flakes hindered the camera enough to throw things off.  The focus mode was S and nothing special set up in the menu, just the default settings.

My question is, are there settings in the menu system that would have helped in this situation?  Something that would raise the odds more in my favor than 2 out of 10 or 12?

Thanks,

Jarrell

-- hide signature --

'At my age, if it's over 100 feet from the truck, it ain't photogenic.'

Jarrell Conley's gear list:Jarrell Conley's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Nikon D750
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Flat view
Post (hide subjects) Posted by
ForumParentFirstPrevious
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow